Friday 18 February 2011

Sydney – A City of Interesting Architecture


A good site explaining Sydney’s burgeoning skyline is:



In a strange city on your own, for me, the easiest way to get my bearings is to hop on an open topped tourist bus. Whilst some folk think this maybe somewhat “naff” it gives me a feel of where I want to go back and visit – a summary of where things are! So off I went from Circular Quay part way around the city and then changed buses and headed off to Bondi. I loved many of the new buildings and  some of it reminded me a little of Chicago  - an absolutely stunning city architecturally!

There is an interesting mix of the very new, the Victorian, Art Deco  and occasionally some French/Spanish European.  The Rocks is an area near the Harbour  with cobbled lanes, old brick warehouses sitting alongside contemporary galleries, modern eating places and a bustling water transport hub! Its origins however can be traced back to an aboriginal past. It will be worth while going on the Architecture Tour as I believe it   explains the social, cultural and topographical patterns and forces which have shaped Sydney. 

So many things to see and do – galleries, museums, parks, local markets, writers, artists, musicians……… houses -  OMG such houses, I just want to knock on people’s doors and say, “Please can I come in and just have a look” – so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment